The summer transfer window is racing toward the Sept. 1 deadlineand there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: PSG monitoring Kante
Paris Saint Germain entered this transfer window wanting to strengthen their midfield and that is still the case, despite the additions of Vitinha (€40 million) and Renato Sanches (€13m), as The Times reports that the Ligue 1 champions are monitoring the contract situation of Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante – The Best Of N’Golo Kante.
Kante has only one year left on his contract with the Blues, and questions have arisen regarding the 31-year-old’s future.
Thomas Tuchel is keen for Kante to remain at Stamford Bridge past 2023, but indicated that injury concerns and his age will be considered when deciding the length and size of contract that will be put forward. Kante is currently the second-highest earner among the Chelsea squad and is set to be out for at least a month because of a hamstring injury.
PSG are long-term admirers of the all-action midfielder and attempted to sign him in 2018, when he eventually opted to sign a five-year extension with the Blues instead.
However, if Chelsea don’t agree a new deal with Kante by January, he would be able to begin discussing moves with overseas clubs.
PSG are also close to bringing in Fabian Ruizwith Transfer market reporting that the deal will see Napoli receive €24m while the Spaniard will have a contract worth a net €5m per season until June 2027.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, more (U.S.)
08.47 BST: Tottenham Hotspur have announced the permanent signing of centre-back Christian Romero from Atalanta.
Romero, 24, joined Tottenham on loan last season and has now agreed a deal to stay at the North London club until 2027. Sources had told ESPN the deal would be completed for €55m.
The Argentina international made 30 appearances last campaign as he helped Spurs to qualify for the Champions League via a fourth-place finish.
Romero was also a key part of the Argentina side who won the Copa America last year and has 11 caps for his country.
08.37 BST: Chelsea will look to bring in new recruits before the transfer window closes on Sept. 1 but will make do with the existing squad if they have to, manager Thomas Tuchel has said.
Speaking ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Southampton, Tuchel said he was fully focused on his side’s opponents as they look to make it three victories from five games after beating Leicester City 2-1 last time out.
“Right now we could need more players in some positions but it’s close to the end of the transfer window and when Sept. 1 comes I will be a happy coach no matter what happens,” Tuchel told a news conference. “I will try to find solutions and not think about what could have happened.”
Chelsea’s summer signings have included Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly and Marc Cucurella, while they have also been linked with Leicester centre-back Wesley Fofana and Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
“All that matters is the reality and the moment now… and what will matter at Southampton is to find a way to win, step up individually and push the team. This is what we will do whether players come or not,” Tuchel added.
08.00 BST: Manchester United are close to signing goalkeeper Martin Dubravka from Newcastlesources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Dubravka is set to move to Old Trafford on loan with an option to make the move permanent at the end of the season.
The 33-year-old Slovakia international will become Erik ten Hag’s sixth signing of the summer after Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen, Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro and Antony.
Dubravka will provide competition for senior goalkeepers David De Gea and Tom Heaton. De Gea has started all four games so far this season but came in for criticism following his performance in the 4-0 defeat at Brentford.
Ten Hag has been keen to add another goalkeeper to his squad after allowing Dean Henderson to join Nottingham Forest on loan for the season.
Sources have told ESPN the deal for Dubravka, who still has three years on his contract at Newcastle, includes an option to make the move permanent, but not an obligation.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– The Athletic reports that Chelsea are having second thoughts about signing Barcelona forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang because of his age and expected high wages, while the Blues would want to include performance-based incentives in the fee. They are still keen to bring in his teammate Frenkie de Jongthough, and could be the Dutchman’s most likely destination if he leaves Barcelona — even if he will be staying as things stand.
– Arsenal and Everton are among the various clubs looking at Shakhtar Donetsk winger Mykhailo Mudrykaccording to Fabrizio Romano. The Gunners have explored the required conditions on the player’s side, while the Toffees had a verbal proposal of €30m turned down by the Ukrainian club.
– Fulham are negotiating with Lyon in an attempt to sign midfielder Houssem Aouaraccording to The team. There has also been an offer from Benfica after Aouar reacted negatively to the prospect of joining Nicewhile Nottingham Forest couldn’t reach an agreement with Lyon.
– West Ham United and Crystal Palace have made offers for Manchester United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissakareports The Athletic. However, the Red Devils have turned down both as they don’t want to let the 24-year-old leave, partly because a replacement would need to be found if he did depart.
– Mauro Icardi has been linked with a move away from Paris Saint-Germain all summer, and The team has added a new name that is looking at the Argentine. It reports that while Galatasaray remain in discussions with PSG about a loan with the option to make the deal permanent, Trabzonspor have enquired about a possible transfer — an opportunity that has been put to the side by Icardi’s entourage for the moment.